Wednesday 21 February 2007

Poetry

I have a very scattered sort of mind which tends to bubble over with ideas unless I railroad it into one specific task - and even then it sort of vents out the side whenever I take a break. (I sometimes wonder whether I'd benefit from Ritalin... unfortunately it's a lot harder to get a diagnosis for ADHD these days).

Most of the bubblings take the form of game ideas, but occasionally they come up as fragments of stories or poems - I thought I'd add some length to this post by sharing some of the bits of blank verse that turn up in the margins of my lecture notes. The titles are fairly arbitrary.

City
Beneath my bed
A wandering dog
Three stars.
Inconstant fluorescence
Sour horns
Death
A monument?
Cities are the gravestones of forests.

Bed
Awake?
Superficial reaction; cold
Lazy-
Sheets-
Lover-
... sleep.

Tradition
Unspoken accord
like library-silence
Enraptured
(to history?)
I am not my parents!

In other news, we finished the meditation course at CBC. Six weeks ago, if someone had told me I'd be interested in taking the introductory Buddhism course at this point, I would have laughed them out of the building. I choose to take an optimistic view and consider this as an indication that I'm more open-minded than I thought. Buddhism (at least the FWBO style) turns out to be far less mystical and far more practical than I believed... it's certainly interesting enough to merit further study.

Quote of the day is from Pema Chödrön:
"We question without the intention of finding permanent solutions."

No comments: