Friday 30 March 2007

Praise and giftedness

Arguably most interesting article I have read in some time, "the power and peril of praise". I went through more or less exactly the school experience they describe, and suffered more or less the same consequences. It's only really in the last few months that I've really made any progress on my ability to motivate myself when success is not immediate, and I still have a long way to go.

I'm intrigued though by Dr. Cloninger's observation that there is a distinct cortical region associated with persistence. That sounds like an extremely promising target for TMS. Since the latter is now achievable at home if you have a few thousand to burn, I wonder how long we have before we start seeing parents and/or teenagers trying to boost their study. Frankly I'd rather like to try it myself...

No comments: